Lupus is an autoimmune disease where the healthy tissues of the body get affected by the immune system instead of attacking the foreign germs. This results in the healthy joints, muscles, organs and even the brain getting inflamed. Lupus usually gets detected very late. The rate of lupus affected people in India is about 8 to 9 in one lakh. Chronic infection, environmental factors, genetic factors, stress and reaction to certain drugs are said to be some of the causes of lupus. Lupus can affect you at any time but there are some dietary changes and homely remedies, following which you can completely treat lupus naturally.
Diet and some tips to treat lupus
- Eat less processed or fatty food.
- Avoid Alcohol.
- Vegetables also known as ‘Nightshade’ Vegetables such as tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant should be avoided as they can cause inflammation.
- One should consume grains in this condition as it is a good source of fibre and energy.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are essential to maintain the muscular form hence the should be taken in the form of Zinc and Vitamin B. It has been proven that Omega-3 fatty acids improve symptoms in lupus patients,
- Reduce Stress.
- Exercise daily.
- Salmon or certain fish oils contains high amount of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Herbal medicines consist of anti-inflammatory properties and can naturally cure and improves symptoms in lupus patients.
- Medication in treatment of lupus can lead to bone deficiency. Hence, it is important for the patient to take Vitamin D and Calcium supplements.
- DHEA improves the treatment of lupus patients. It’s a steroid hormone that produces the essential oestrogen and testosterone.
- Food high in iron such as leafy green vegetables and lean meat is good for the lupus patient.
- Fruits and vegetables that are high in antioxidants are natural healers. Apricots, berries are good sources.
- Tea that contains caffeine reduces the amount of iron in your body. Iron is important in preventing anaemia which is a common complication for lupus.
- Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties. It is an herb that has been proven its best results for their therapeutic benefits.
- Olive oil in its virgin form has phenol components has anti-inflammatory properties and are used in the treatments of SLE.
- Essential oils or Aromatherapy as they say, provides symptomatic relief with sleep, joint mobility, relaxation of a lupus patient. Many different essential oils may also offer anti-inflammatory benefits. A relief to every lupus patient.
Home remedies for lupus
Natural turmeric contains an active ingredient known as curcumin which provides natural treatment in case of lupus. In fact, turmeric is a well-known home remedy for treatment of autoimmune disease. You can either include turmeric powder in your food or mix it along with warm milk. Turmeric can also be taken raw early in the morning.
Coconut oil is naturally healthy enough to balance the negative responses of the body’s immune system. It also reduces cholesterol and blood sugar and is important for the treatment of lupus. You can include it in your diet by cooking in virgin coconut oil.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has hydrochloric acid and is a safe and sure way of inducing it in the body when it is naturally deficient. Lupus patients usually have a deficiency of this substance. It not only detoxifies the system but also aids in the absorption of nutrients in the body. It also increases the natural production of hydrochloric acid in the body and treats lupus. The best way of having apple cider vinegar is to add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of lemon water and having the drink before meals.
Since lupus is related to fatigue and inflammation, the best homely way to treat it is to go for an Epsom salt bath. Epsom salt helps the body to absorb magnesium and detoxifies the system. It also reduces pain and inflammation. Take a proper bath every day with Epsom salt mixed in your bath water for 20 minutes.
Bone broth is a wonderful homely medicine to treat autoimmune diseases and reduces all kinds of infections and inflammations. Prepare a broth of chicken bones and drink it every day as a soup for your breakfast or lunch.
Lupus increases as your stress levels increase. Tulsi or holy basil has natural properties to cut down your stress levels. This herb is antioxidant in nature and has immense anti-inflammatory benefits. It reduces inflammations, starts healing and gets you naturally refreshed. You can either chew basil leaves raw or add it to your tea and drink it twice or thrice every day.
Flaxseeds contain rich amounts of omega 3 fatty acids which are beneficial in reducing inflammation in lupus patients. It also improves kidney functioning in people affected with lupus as it often damages the kidney. A lupus patient must have 30 grams of flaxseeds every day.
Antioxidant rich food
You must include a lot of antioxidant rich fruits and vegetables in your diet. Green, leafy vegetables are usually high sources of antioxidants. These help in reducing inflammation in the body. Eat a lot of asparagus, avocado, leafy vegetables, garlic, tomatoes, onions, garlic, broccoli, capsicum, berries, etc. to have a daily dose of antioxidants. Apart from antioxidants, these fruits and vegetables contain magnesium, potassium and Vitamin C that help to reduce free radical damage and joint damage and also lower the fatigue level. Eat them raw or as a part of salads and soups.
Probiotic food is useful for the body because probiotic bacteria in the gut help to improve the immune system. They also treat lupus and reduce the inflammation of the muscles and organs. Bacteria called probiotic lactobacilli can hinder the further development and growth of lupus condition in the body. It has anti-inflammatory effects. You must include fermented foods that contain probiotic bacteria like miso, acidophilus milk, yoghurt, etc. to introduce good bacteria into your system.