Before treating the ring worm infection, it is important to recognize the skin condition. Some people have a belief about the ring worm to be spread through a particular type of worm. But, to be truth this has nothing to do with the worms. Rather it is a fungal infection of skin which can affect any type of people. This is a type of infection that can spread from infected animal or that of a human being. This can also takes place due to excess of sweat in an unfavorable environmental condition.
Ringworm is a very common skin infection that causes a ring shaped red rash. It is mostly common in children but can affect all age groups of people. This skin infection is also known as tinea. It is caused by fungi that are called dermatophytes. These fungi area microscopic organism that grows off in the dead tissues of the skin, hair and nails, just like mushrooms that grow on the bark of the trees.
Recognition of ringworm infection
As the name suggests ringworm is not caused by worms, but by fungus that grows on the skin in the form of red rings. It spreads out in rings with a new ring developing from the edge of the old ring. It is a contagious disease that spreads with skin to skin contact, contact with person or animal. It also spreads when towels, clothing’s and sports gear are shared. Children are most likely to get ringworm. Ringworm of the scalp can spread from one to another when children share hats, combs, or brushes.
Itchy patches with a ring shape
Medical science speaks about different types of ringworm. But, the particular variety that affects the human skin is known as classis variety. You will find rashes on your skin that too with round shape with scaly edges. This has the tendency of expanding the border and getting inflamed with time. Tendency of spreading is another symptom of ring worm infection.
Bald patches on scalp
Ring worm not only affects the skin of the individual. Rather, it can be also found in the hair of the individual. Since it occurs in hair, you may also get confused in differentiating it with that of dandruff. It is quite common to find the ringworm as a spot or a pimple at the preliminary stage. But with time it will get converted into flaky skin with great itchiness.
View reddish brown rash around groin
You may also view the reddish brown variety of rash that grows around the groin. It is also quite likely to be spread towards your inner thigh. There can also be a perfect conjunction of the ringworm with that of the athlete’s foot.
View the scaly inflammation between the soles of feet
It is very irritating for a person to walk once they get inflammation in feet, toes and soles. You may view the blackish appearance in your toe nails. Sometimes you may also develop blister in skin. The extent of ringworm depends on its effects from person to person.
Symptoms of ringworm
The fungi causing ringworm grow in moist areas like locker rooms, swimming pool and folds of the skin.
- Symptoms of ringworm on the skin are usually n itchy rash which takes the pattern in the shape of a ring. Sometimes it can be just red, itchy rash with no shape.
- Ringworm infection on scalp will have symptoms of dry brittle hair or hair loss seen in patches. There will be severe itching and red ringed patch of blisters or scaly skin can be seen.
- Most mild cases of ringworm infection can be treated at home with creams. But if the cream does not work it is better to consult a doctor. Doctor will prescribe pills to kill the fungus.
Untreated ringworm infection can lead to complications. The blister and cracks could become infected with bacteria and then antibiotics would be the only solution.
- Avoid sharing clothing, sports gear, towels, or sheets if they have been exposed to ringworm. All infected clothes must be washed in hot water with special anti-fungus soap.
- Wear slippers or sandals in locker rooms and public bathing areas.
- Shower and shampoo well after any.
- Wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and change socks and underwear daily.
- Keep the folds of the skin like armpits, groin and toes clean and dry.
- People suffering from athlete’s foot must wear socks before wearing underwear to prevent the infection to spread from foot to groin.
- Treat missing hair patches on pets immediately
Treatments for ringworm
In most cases ringworm of the skin can be treated with anti-fungal creams or ointments. These ointments contain miconazole and clotrimazole and sold under the name of Micatin, mycelex and tinactin.
- Wash the rash with soap and water, and dry it thoroughly.
- Apply antifungal cream beyond the edge.
- The ointment must be regularly applied for 2 to 4 weeks even if the symptoms disappear.
- If symptoms do not improve after 2 weeks, consult the doctor.
Wide spread severe infection may require anti-fungal pills prescribed by the doctor. These drugs will work to kill the infection and prevent the chances of coming back. Anti-fungal medicated shampoo, powder, lotion or cream can also be helpful. Persons suffering from athlete’s foot and ringworm infection will need to be treated for both infections. There are several antifungal pills and tablets which are prescribed to prevent spreading of the infection to other parts of the body. Sometimes both external and internal treatment may be required to get rid of ringworm infection.
Natural home treatments for ringworm
Garlic is favorable for treating many health conditions including ringworm. Place crushed slices of garlic on the ringworm and protect it with a band aid.
Turmeric has some pretty great natural antibiotic qualities. Apply fresh turmeric juice on the affected area until the infection disappears.
Colloidal silver is an antibiotic that is completely natural and helps to destroy hundreds of dangerous microorganisms including ringworms. Spray or rub colloidal silver on the fungal infection twice a day until it is completely gone.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Lavender oil is another compound with powerful anti-fungal effects. It not only helps to stop fungi from growing, but also kills ringworm infection.
Ways to treat ringworm infection
- You need to remain very clean once you are affected by ringworm infection. First of all you need to wash the rashes with soap as well as water. Medicated soap will be an added advantage.
- If you are infected by the blisters and soars over the large area, individual can easily use the compresses that are made up of burrow’s solution. This is very effective in getting your skin soothing and get the blister dried up
- Apply the anti-fungal creams which are available in the pharmacy.
If the symptoms continue more than 2 weeks of carrying on with the above mentioned treatment procedure, you need to show the doctor. The dermatologist will be the right person to provide you with the best solution in helping out with the process of treating the ringworm infection.
Alternatively you may also find variety of ingredients readily at home which is very effective in treating the fungal infection or ring worm infection in human body.
It is quite easy to have garlic at home as it is one of the spices which are vigorously used in Indian kitchen. Garlic is having natural anti-fungal properties that help in eradicating all types of fungal infections that also contain ringworm. The application process will be quite easy. You have to take out the peels of the garlic cloves and cut them into fine slices. Rub it in the affected area and see the difference. You may also smash garlic and wrap in the area with a bandage.
Apart from providing proper nourishment to your hair, coconut oil is also very effective in treating ring worm infection. Many people have achieved wonderful result after using coconut oil at home. You need to apply the edible coconut oil in the ringworm affected area and get away from irritations. Since ring worm infection irritates people’s skin, coconut oil provides soothing effect at the first chance. There after you can easily see the rings getting light and finally disappearing.
You may also apply Aloe Vera Juice from the fresh Aloe plant, Jojoba oil, tea tree oil on the affected area to get a cure gradually.