Joint pain or medically termed as arthralgia or arthritis is a pain that arises in that area where two bones meet. Joint pain is the primary symptom of arthritis. Arthritis is a joint disorder known as inflammation of joints. Joint is an area where two bones end and due to which we are able to move our body parts. Various medical conditions are responsible for joint pain and is not limited to autoimmune diseases, various infectious diseases, gouts, sprains, tendonitis and strains.
The intensity of pain can rise depending upon applicable strain or because of day to day work. Joint pain can really affect the activities and other tasks of an individual. Joint pains can be treated by applying certain home remedies which are impactful and can relieve you from pain to a great extent. The simplest way to diminish the pain is simply by resting the joints. It is an effective remedy to heal the pain. Several exercises are also recommended such that the muscles gets stretched and deduce the pain to some level. You need to put a watch that extreme exercises are avoided as it may result in exacerbating the situation.
The several home remedies to get rid of joint pain are
Research shows that that drinking four cups of green tea daily can reduce the chances of joint pain. It contains polyphenol antioxidants, which has anti-inflammatory properties. It makes you immune and reduces the cartilage damage.
Cloves contain eugenol, a chemical which reduces the chances of arthritis. It does so by preventing the release of COX-2. Highly rich in antioxidants, cloves must be consumed daily to reduce the bone damage caused by arthritis. You can eat 1 teaspoon of clove daily.
Do you know that walking barefoot is considered as one of the effective exercises in reducing joint pains. It minimizes the pain and disability from osteoarthritis by 12%. If you opt to wear shoes, choose footwear which has minimum natural arch and heel contour. Footwear which doesn’t lift up the heel is the one that put less pressure on your joints.
Chamomile contains anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce the joint pain easily. For preparing a strong infusion, you need four chamomile tea bags. Brew them in a cup of hot water. Steep and cover the cup for about 20 minutes. Squeeze the tea bags and remove. Take a clean cloth to soak the liquid. Once done, apply this to your joint. Follow the steps twice a day for better and faster results.
Swimming is considered as one of the best exercise for your joints. Swimming helps to improve knee and hip flexibility as the weightlessness of the water reduces the impact on your knees. Join swimming classes which are specially designed for arthritis people.
Include more vitamin C foods to your diet as it not only produces collagen but destroys the free radicals causing joint pain. Some of the vitamin C-rich fruits and vegetables are Strawberries, melon, broccoli and sweet pepper.
Exercising helps in keeping the body fit and healthy. For the people dealing with joint pains there are a separate set of exercises which are less strenuous and effective for curing the joint pains. Moving of the ankles in rounds, practicing movements that soothe the pain and more exercises promote your wellbeing. The physiotherapists can teach you the joint exercises which can help cure the pain and get relief too.
Turmeric is a natural healer and its paste can help in soothing the pain too. Just mix turmeric with water and apply the thick paste on the joints that ache. Doing it regularly helps in reducing the pain and soothe. Its natural healing properties make the pain go away slowly.
Joint pains can increase if proper care is not taken. Ensure that you do not indulge into strenuous activities for the joints to go worse even more. There are bandages available that can be tied around the areas of pain to save them from further harm. Take the help of the doctors to get the right band for you and use it to safeguard the joint that pains and give it some relief too.
Hot water bags therapy
Soothing the joint pains with hot water bags helps in restoring the ache and aiding cure to the hurting muscles. The pain of arthritis can be a big trouble if not taken proper care of. Hence filling up hot water bags and soothing the pain with this for at least 15 minutes daily can help relax the tension in the muscles that is caused by daily activities. This can be a big help in treating, curing and getting an instant relief from the ache. You can also apply balms or ointments on the area and then take the hot water therapy for added benefits.
Deeply massaging the infected area with oil is one great step to deduct the pain. A massage for about 20 minutes can help in alleviating the pain from the joints. It helps in proper blood circulation to the soft tissues and reduces inflammation and pain in the joints.
Another treatment to heal the pain is heat application. It is one of the successful home remedies for joint pain. Apply a hot towel or hot water bath in the infected area for about 20 minutes. The aching joint gets relieved instantly. An electric heating pad can also be used to diminish the pain.
Treatment with epsom salt
Add some Epsom salt in hot water bath and soak yourself in it. Epsom salt contains magnum sulphate, which is known to have anti-arthritic and anti- inflammatory properties. The hot water bath is also helpful in enhancing the blood flow in the joints.
Indulging into a healthy diet
A healthy diet should be followed which includes more of calcium intake. Calcium is responsible for bone strengthening and development. It can be extracted from dairy products and consuming milk, yogurt, eggs and other supplements. A daily intake of 1000 mg is essential. The pain in the joint is associated with a deficiency of calcium and other nutrients. The consumption of Vitamin C should also be increased to raise the synthesis of collagen in joints.
A glass of milk mixed with turmeric helps in reducing the pain. Ginger has also a soothing effect on joint pain. Include 1/2 tbsp of ginger in your daily diet. Wrapped Ice cubes in a cotton cloth when rubbed on the aching joint, it provides great benefits. Application of warm vinegar on the painful area at night and washing the same in the morning also possess a noticeable reduction in pain. You should eliminate foods that are high in carbohydrates and refined sugars from your diet plan. These foods are responsible in worsening the effect of the pain. Other than that consuming some amount of cod liver oil helps to relieve arthritis pain. The remedies are right there in your kitchen, the natural way to treat allows pain to heal faster and possessing no side effects.
Apple cider vinegar
Joint pain can be reduced with the help of apple cider vinegar as it eliminates all the toxins that are collected between collective tissues and the joints.
It is very much advantageous for arthritis patient because of its alkalizing effect. Also it contains minerals such as magnesium, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
- In a cup of warm water add one to three teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar and also a little amount of honey. Before having your meals drink the solution and it will act as a good cure for reducing your pain in your joints and also for your overall health.
- You can also mix olive oil along with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and massage the area with pain until it is gone.
Cayenne peppers have capsaicin which has natural analgesic or pain-relieving properties.
Researchers have found that applying of gel which contains 0.0125 percent of capsaicin will relieve mild to moderate amount of pain of knee osteoarthritis suffering women.
- Mildly heat one-half cup of coconut oil and add two tablespoons of powdered cayenne pepper. Put the oil on the area which is affected and leave that part for about 20 minutes then wash it off. Keep on doing this a few time daily until the pain get relieved.
- You can also use capsaicin cream on the area affected with pain.
Note: Cayenne initially leads to a burning sensation so do not put it on open skin wounds.
Garlic is very much advantageous for arthritis and joint pain patients as it contains sulfur and selenium. Joint pain and inflammation can be relieved by sulphur and also selenium has an antirheumatic effect according to research. It has also been found that low amount of selenium is found in patients of arthritis.
- Have raw or cooked garlic added in your diet. You can easily consume 2 or 3 cloves of garlic without any harm. In case you are disgusted by either the smell or taste of garlic as many people do, then you can take supplements which have garlic (just read the instructions on the label).
- If you want you can fry two garlic cloves in mustard or sesame oil, just two tablespoons. Turn off the heat when garlic cloves turn black and also strain the oil. Cool down the oil until it is comfortably warm and then massage it on the area which is affected. Leave it for 3 hours at least and then wash it. Do this twice a day daily and you’ll see improvement.
Ginger because of its anti-inflammatory properties is a natural cure for muscle and joint pain. Researchers have found that it showed improvement on patients suffering from osteoarthritis with knee pain.
- Have ginger tea or try to include fresh ginger root or dried ginger powder in your daily diet. For preparing a cup of ginger tea, cut a small piece of ginger and boil it by keeping it in a cup of water for at least 10 minutes and then strain it. You can add honey if you want to sweeten the taste.
- An alternate option also is mixing equal amounts of ginger, turmeric and fenugreek powder. Have this solution daily in the morning and evening to have satisfied results.
Exploratory studies have indicated that without any major side effects stinging needle can be very useful for joint pain. Though the reasons for this have not been found out yet but it is believed that it has anti-inflammatory compound. Also it contains a high amount of boron which is required for healthy bones and joints.
- In a cup of warm water steep dried nettle leaves for at least 10 to 15 minutes. Then strain and drink it. Repeat drinking this tea three times daily until you get effective results.
- On the area affected with pain you can put fresh nettle leaves for almost 30 seconds. Do this once on a daily basis until a week or so. At first it will cause discomfort but later it will reduce the pain.
Note: This herb sometimes disturbs blood thinners as well as blood pressure, heart and diabetes medications.