Receding gums or Gingival recession is caused by the loss of gum tissue or renunciation of the gingival margin from the crown of the teeth leading to the exposure in the roots of the teeth. Pockets or gaps are formed between teeth due to gum recession. It damages the tissues and allows bacteria to infect the tooth leading to tooth loss. The receding gum loosens the grip of the tooth. Receding gums isn’t only painful but scary too. Sometimes it leads to bleeding of gums, tooth loss, etc. There are various solutions to cure this problem but it is suggested to consult a dentist before moving onto any solution. This is because receding of gums maybe caused due to multiple reasons and you need to first detect how severe your condition is.
Causes of receding of gums
Gum recession takes place when the gum tissues start receding and lowers its position on the tooth, exposing the roots of the teeth. This can be caused due to improper treatment of your teeth and some of your ill habits which tend to damage the gums. Aggressive brushing and flossing may lead to receding of gums. Always use brushes with soft bristles. Make sure that you are brushing your teeth and not scrubbing. The gum characteristics are determined by the genetics mostly, so if anyone or both of your parents have gum recession problem then there is a high probability of you having the same problem. Gum recession may also take place due to abnormal tooth positioning which later on may disturb the alignment of teeth. Bruxism or involuntary grinding of the teeth while sleeping is another cause of gum recession. This habit can cause many dental maladies which also includes gum recession. If you are experiencing any such thing like grinding of teeth, do consult your dentist for appropriate solutions to overcome this problem. Gum tissues may also recede when any heavy damage is being caused to the teeth. Any sorts of accident or tooth ache which may have disrupt the teeth alignment and caused severe gum bleeding. Gum tissues recede even when you suffer from periodontitis which actually is an issue caused by shrinking of gums or the inflammation of the tissues around the teeth. Poor oral treatment or improper maintenance of the teeth may also cause gum recession. It is very important to take proper care of the teeth for avoiding gum recession and other oral and dental issues.
Remedies to cure gum recession
It may seem very tough to get over gum recession as it doesn’t only harms your teeth but also destroys the charm of your beautiful smile. Here we have listed few home remedies to fight back gum recession and get a healthy oral or dental structure as well as regain the charm of your smile or laughter.
Aloe Vera has healing and anti-inflammatory properties, which helps cure gum recession. As it is an antimicrobial by nature, it fights the bacteria causing gum recession. It also fights and heal mouth ulcer.
- Extract some aloe vera gel and massage it on your gums.
- Leave it for half an hour and then wash off with water.
- Alternatively, whoosh some aloe vera juice few times in your mouth a few times, and then spit it out.
- You can also drink 2 teaspoon of aloe vera juice daily.
- Apply any of the above remedies daily, and repeat for several weeks to get rid of gum recession.
Tea tree oil
A study published in the Australian Dental Journal in 2008 found out that topical use of tea tree oil gel helps reduce gum bleeding, gingivitis or gingival recession and periodontitis.
- Before brushing your teeth add few drops of tea tree oil with your tooth paste.
- Use this daily for effective cure.
Sea salt is used for reducing tooth ache, gum recession and decay.
- Take a small amount of sea salt.
- Mix it in a cup of warm water.
- Stir until it dissolves completely.
- Apply it as a mouth wash.
- For few seconds swish it around in your mouth.
- Use this process thrice a day to completely get rid of receding of gum.
With the help of its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties it can heal or cure any kind of tooth ache and other oral issues.
- Put in 2 to 3 teaspoons of chamomile flowers to one cup of hot water.
- Steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the solution and let it cool for few minutes.
- Apply this chamomile tea as a mouth wash.
- Practice this method 2 to 4 times a day for a week or two until you experience proper improvement.
The cure provided by clove in case of oral issues is an age long therapy which is very much effective and useful. The clove oil which itself is a natural antiseptic is known for its antimicrobial and antifungal agents. It helps in regeneration of gum tissues by blocking the recession of gum.
- Apply the clove oil on gums and massage it.
- Do this for a week or two to heal oral or dental issues.
- Else, take a clove and keep it in your mouth.
- The juice of the clove will dissolve with the saliva.