Adrenaline the non-technical name for Epinephrine is a “feel-good” neurotransmitter and a hormone secreted by automatic nervous system – at immediate rescue to defend against high stress / threat and physically exhilarating situations.
These hormones helps react to the stress by:
- Pumping good levels of oxygen
- Increased glucose levels and supply to your muscles
- Better blood supply
- Strengthens body muscles
- Increasing heart rate
- Maintain Blood Pressure during dehydration or blood loss
- Increasing sweat
- Blood vessels enlarge or dilate in our muscles
Our bodies thus produce Adrenaline from Adrenal glands to automatically defend/attack/neutralize the body against sudden strains and stress situations.
Let me make you clear with what Anaphylaxis is all about.
To make it simple – Anaphylaxis is the most severe allergic reaction the body is exposed to causing serious skin symptoms, breathing problems, swelling and others wherein the blood vessels are expanded causing the blood pressure to drop. Mostly affected are respiratory, cardiovascular, or gastrointestinal systems.
Prompt and immediate treatment of anaphylaxis is very risky thus Epinephrine injections are at rescue.
Why and how does Epinephrine injection work?
The most prescribed Auto injector Epinephrine is thus the First of line of defense – survival hormone that work against Anaphylaxis medical condition – is not produced in the body so taken externally in the synthetic Epinephrine form using auto injectors as severity of any allergic reaction is unpredictable.
This injection is used in life-threatening medical conditions such as:
- Venoms and saliva: bites from snakes, flies, ants, etc
- Food poisoning
- Allergic medications
- Injected anesthetics
- Industrial chemicals
- Allergy shots
Auto injector epinephrine as the name implies is all automatic. This auto-injector is pre filled with the solution which is to be just injected into the subcutaneous skin layer or intramuscularly into the thigh muscle. Thus helps one more prone to serious allergic reactions to carry along.
Advantages of Epinephrine injection
- Medications such as antihistamines are just not enough to battle against the allergic reaction. Thus auto injectors Epinephrine have gained popularity by helping people who are more allergic to foods carry along the injector at all time.
- Even helpful for people who already had a previous history of anaphylactic reaction
- Great for Asthmatic patients.
- Chronic stress can still worsen the overall immunity of the body – Adrenaline helps strengthen immunity system.
- Working under constant pressure above – need a chill pill – Adrenaline can really aid.
- Adrenaline gives you that confidence to go on an adventure and live life your way and help take decisions in crisis.
- This auto injector Epinephrine helps blood vessels to return to their normal size to maintain normal blood pressure and also relax the muscles reduce wheezing in lungs, increase the heart rate and finally improves breathing.
- When released into the bloodstream, Epinephrine acts quickly to improve breathing, stimulate the heart, raise a dropping blood pressure, reverse hives, and reduce swelling of the face, lips, and throat.
- Increases heart rate and stroke volume.
- Dilates the pupils, and constricts arterioles in the skin.
- Elevates the blood sugar level by increasing hydrolysis of glycogen to glucose in the liver.
- Breakdown of lipids in fat cells.
- Epinephrine is mostly used in local anesthetics to improve the depth and duration of the anesthesia.
- Reduce bleeding in the operative field.
- Reduces the risk of anesthetic toxicity at the site of injection.
- Decreasing the rate of systemic absorption.
- Athletics – it helps enhance strength, ability and overall performance.
Disadvantages using Auto injector Epinephrine injection
- There are huge set of controversies surrounding the use of auto injector Epinephrine. As stress is a part of life – getting addicted to using Epinephrine shots to urge your stress levels can put your overall health at risk.
- As this hormone is already present and produced by the body, Epinephrine should be prescribed by the doctor only at very life-threatening issues of asthma, cardiac arrest or shocks.
- It suppresses the appetite.
- Stimulates thyroid gland.
- It may help athletics improve overall health performance. However, Epinephrine shots have fast tiring effects on ground – dependency on these external hormone shots can on a long term is not a good idea.
Few side effects associated with epinephrine usage include
- Difficulty breathing
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Pale skin
- Feeling nervous or anxious