Essential oils are nature’s secret of fighting bacteria, fungus and virus. Studies say that plants produce these for their self-defense. Later we started extracting it for human use. These essential oils have shown unique benefits for skin, especially in damage repair and beautifying skin. In this article, you will get to know about four top antibacterial essential oils and the ways to use them for skin ailments.
Precaution: Essential oils can burn your skin when directly applied on skin, so mix it with a carrier oil before use.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has antibacterial and antiviral properties that contribute to healing cuts, ringworm, acne, insect bites, warts, corns and athlete’s foot. Studies say that tea tree oil has same qualities of benzoyl peroxide – a chemical used for skin treatments. However, it does the work for you without any side effects. Many products in the market contains harmful chemicals, so one should make sure to get a 100% pure tea tree oil product by good research on them. This oil is also vital to treat body aches, headaches, high blood pressure and cysts.
Ways to use tea tree oil
- For dandruff and lice elimination – Rinse hair with warm water and then apply 2 drops of tea tree oil and massage well.
- Skincare bath – Add 7 drops of essential oil into the bathing water for smooth and soft skin.
- Heal skin infections and wounds – Apply 2 drops of tea tree oil on the infected area to heal the wound naturally.
Lavender essential oil
Lavender essence is a best aromatic therapy for mind and body. The soothing properties transfer the body to a relaxed state. This versatile oil can treat various skin ailments like bee stings, wounds, dandruff, minor burn, eczema, dry skin, chapped lips and cold sores. Another added advantage of this oil is that it is a flavour booster and energy booster. Sprinkle a little bit of lavender on brownies, tea and other recipes to enjoy the goodness. Carry a bottle of lavender oil in your bag wherever you go, it is amazing for your skin.
Ways to use lavender oil
- Bee stings – Instantly apply 2 drops of oil to reduce inflammation and itching.
- Dandruff – Massage oil into the scalp, leave it for 30 minutes and wash off. Repeat the process every week to eliminate dandruff.
- Burns – Apply 2 to 3 drops of this oil to the burnt area to avoid swelling and irritation.
- Wounds – Rinse the wounds or cuts with a few drops of lavender oil. It acts as a disinfectant.
- Eczema – You can swear by this oil for eczema. Combine equal proportions of lavender oil + coconut oil and apply it on eczema to get relief.
Cinnamon usually finds its place in various cushions but it also has skin beautifying benefits. It is widely used as a massage oil to heal skin diseases and foster healthy skin. It has antimicrobial properties that fight skin infections, airborne infections and dry skin. Cinnamon oil improves blood circulation and makes your skin glow.
Ways to use cinnamon oil
- Massage oil – Mix cinnamon oil with any carrier oil and massage gently throughout the body to soothe skin and increase blood circulation.
- Airborne Infection – When you travel, millions of invisible bacteria keep roaming around you and every breath can lead these bacteria to your lungs. Cinnamon tonic can ward off airborne bacteria and prevent infections in the body.
- Skin infections and dry skin – Rub cinnamon oil on the dry skin to get rid of flaky skin. Topical oil application can relieve redness and heal infections.
You can pop an oregano oil bottle into your skin care kit because it is a natural healer. The phenols Thymol and carvacrol make oregano oil a good antiseptic and antibacterial agent. It shields the skin towards infections and stimulates the healthy immune system. Oregano oil does wonders for your skin. It stops the aging of the skin by destroying free radicals in the body. Treatment of toenail fungus, skin infections and cold sores can be effective by the use of oregano oil.
Ways to use oregano oil
- To escape ageing – Massage oil on your face by using your palms in a circular motion to diminish wrinkles and get a soft skin. Use this oil like a lotion before going to bed.
- Toenail fungus – Add 5 drops of oil to warm water and soak your legs in the water for 20 to 30 minutes to fight off fungus.
- Skin infections – Apply 2 drops of oil on the afflicted area regularly to hasten the healing process.
- Dandruff – Scalp massage will improve blood circulation in the scalp and ward off dandruff.