The term vegetables derived from vegetus. Vegetables are the fresh and raw food items consumed after cooking. Every vegetable have specified benefits in large amounts. Intake of fresh and raw vegetables like carrot, tomato etc plays major role for healthy body. Vegetables are the primary source for vitamins, nutrients, fiber and potassium. For healthy diet prefer to consume vegetable food because they prevents diseases related to heart, diabetes and cancer. Vegetables are of different types. They are seed vegetables, root vegetables, leafy vegetables and flower vegetables. There are several benefits,
Green chillies, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, paprika and more – chilly or not chilly the peppers form an essential part of food we consume. These are rich in cayenne which helps in healing the body cells and also increases the body activity. The peppers are not high in calories but provide for an excellent source of potassium and vitamins.
Mushroom is one of the vegetables which doesn’t have a class of its own but stands out with its medicinal properties. Typically used as a vegetable in cooking dishes around the globe, Mushroom is known for its anti-microbial properties and richness in minerals. Having very negligent amount of calories and being a very different kind of taste makes mushroom fit to be used in sandwiches, curries and even salads. The amount of micro –phytonutrients found in mushroom makes it the best source for health!
Cucumber, bottle gourd, zucchini or pumpkins – these vegetables form the core of out every day eating. The high-water content in these vegetables make them one of the most healthy and tasty vegetables for our diet. Being rich in Vitamins and very low in calories they are your best friend when you are up for a good diet and keep fitness first. Extremely delicious and can be cooked in multiple ways – the marrow vegetables are a daily vegetable friend!
High in potassium and aiding the blood circulation in the body – the cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce etc are ideal for your diet. They have high water content and are extremely easy to cook. With a mild taste these vegetables are fit to be consumed raw and can also be cooked in minutes to get the right kind of taste. The cruciferous vegetables are known for their fermentation power and can easily be transformed into kimchi which is the best for bad stomachs too!
Root vegetables absorb nutrients from soil. These are of different kinds such as carrot, radish, sweet potatoes, beet root, garlic and turnips. These are low calorie foods but rich in vitamins and fiber.
- Vitamins present in these vegetables helps to heal wounds.
- Carrot reduces the cholesterol levels, stabilizes the sugar level and improves eye sight.
Green leaf vegetables
Green leaf vegetables acts as anti-oxidants in the body. These vegetables are the excellent source of fiber and carotenoids.
- Leafy vegetables should preserve in temperature between 32- 38 F degrees.
- Before cooking, leafy vegetables should wash with fresh water and keep aside to dry.
- Leafy vegetables prevent the growth of certain type of cancers such as lung cancer, stomach cancer and breast cancer.
Flower vegetables are high in fiber, low in calories, rich in vitamins. There are different kinds in flower vegetables such as cauliflower, asparagus and broccoli. Each of them has specific benefits related to health.
- Vitamins are needed for cell growth, cell renewal, immune system, tissue growth.
- Fiber helps to overcome from the gastro intestinal problems.
- Unit of food is calorie. It represent the amount of food we intake. For men, they consume 2200-2800 calories per day normally and for women they consume 1600-2000 calories normally and the range may exceed if they are moderately active.
Seed vegetables includes butter beans, haricot beans and lentils such as black lentils, green lentils, red lentils, red kidney beans, pigeon beans and Bengal gram etc.
- These seed vegetables are rich source for fiber, iron and magnesium
- These contain high calories.
- These seed vegetables are have carbohydrates that are complex and absorbs slowly.