Milium cysts or Milia are small white bumps which appear on our nose and cheeks. They come in clusters and look unlikely on the face. When keratin gets trapped on our skin beneath its surface, these bumps clump up. Keratin is a powerful protein which is found in skin tissues like hair and nail cells. Milia can happen to anyone at any age and unfortunately it most common in infants. They are found on the face, cheeks and eyelids. Many times, we confuse milia with Epstein pearls which are harmless white-yellow cysts on the gums or mouth of newborns.
Causes of milia
When milia is caused to the newborns the reason is unknown. It is probably the hormonal imbalances which a mother goes through and it affects the baby. Unlike inflammation, milia don’t swell! It is not baby acne either, as those form weeks after birth while milia are there from delivery! Be in children or adults, it is a type of skin damage which has to be treated. Some common causes are:
- Blistering due to skin problems.
- Injuries of blisters.
- Skin resurfacing like laser
- Steroid cream used for a long time
- Sun damage for a long time
Home remedies for milia
Sandalwood with rose water
When you combine both these ingredients, you create a mixture to get rid of excess oil from skin and remove the dead skin cells. This reduces milia and makes you skin smooth:
- Take 2 tablespoons of good quality powder with adequate rose water for paste.
- Mix well and the spread on skin.
- Let it stay for 15 minutes or wait till skin dries.
- Wash it with cool water and then pat dry.
- Repeat once a weak
Castor oil is a natural healer which comes with antibacterial properties and reduces oil production. This is why it cures skin problems and that would include milia and acnes!
- Buy a good quality castor oil and ask the shopkeeper if it is okay for the skin.
- Take half a teaspoon and apply directly on the face.
- Let it dry till it gets absorbed.
- Repeat for a few months for results.
- Make a mixture of castor oil with olive oil in equal parts.
- Apply it and let it go inside the skin.
You can also,
- Mix castor oil with baking soda
- Make a paste out of these two
- Apply on the affected area
- Let it stay for a few hours and then wash off
- Repeat for 2 weeks for results!
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is a wonder product for the skin. Applying the medicated form gets you rid of all types of skin problems. Apply tea tree oil to get rid of these white bumps. Add the power which makes it a natural disinfectant to your skin.
- Have your face cleansed with face wash.
- Take tea tree oil in clean hands and apply.
- Repeat every night before you go to bed.
- Wash off in the morning.
- Continue till you see results!
This soothing ingredient works well for your skin. It heals you from within and has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties too! This can get you rid off milia in no time and open keep the pores open.
- Massage the area with fresh and succulent gel extract of an aloe vera leaf!
- Leave it overnight and then wash off the next morning.
- Repeat twice everyday and watch the bumps disappear!
- You can combine equal parts of aloe vera extract with green tea.
- Let it stay for 15 minutes and then wash off.
- This is apt when you have bumps around your eyes.
- These reduce dark circles and remove the milia.
The goodness of fenugreek leaves have been known through Ayurveda. It aids to beauty and health, and cures breakouts, blackheads, milia, blemishes and boils. These too have antiseptic, anti-inflammatory properties with antioxidants!
- Grind a handful of the leaves with water.
- Spread it all over the face.
- Let it dry for 15 minutes, after which you should wash off.
- Repeat till bumps are gone!